When I woke up to a yard covered with snow, three things came to mind:
It seems like ever since we moved in to our new home all it has been doing is snowing and sleeting. Most of the snow has been the wet and icy kind. But last night’s snow fall, all eight inches of it, looked perfectly fluffy, the kind you just can’t wait to jump in.
The girls and Khari enjoyed sledding down the hill in our backyard (a first for our princesses). They had so much fun going up and down, and up and down again.
I knew after being outside in the cold, a hot cup of cocoa is just what those bodies would need.
Now I admit, I usually don’t make hot chocolate from homemade, my mother was always good at that. Me? Well I am a Swiss Miss gal–from the package to the cup. This snowstorm came as a bit of a surprise to me and I didn’t properly stock my pantry will all the must-have-snowed-in treats.
But that didn’t stop me! Out of desperation and a deep desire to hand my family a cup of warm cocoa, I decided to create my own recipe of chocolate bliss…and it was so, so, good.
What you need:
- 3 cups of your favorite milk (I use Almond milk, but you use whatever you like)
- 1/2 cups of half & half cream ( I used Silk Coffee Cream, you use what you like)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (more if you want a deep chocolate taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- teaspoon cinnamon
- juice and zest from 1 orange
What you do:
- In a medium saucepan, gently heat the milk and cream, blending with a whisk. Be sure that you do not boil it.
- Once the milk get hot (again, not boiling) add the chocolate chips and stir until all the chips have melted.
- Next, add all the remaining ingredients and blend really well.
You can add a touch of brandy (for the adults) or top it off with whipped cream. I put the leftover in the refrigerator, and can’t wait to reheat and indulge in the morning!
Oh, yeah–hubby and I even got to watch a movie, Captain America: The Winter Soldier. What a great snow day!
What’s your favorite snowy day treat?
Stay Encouraged & Be Blessed!