I used to be extremely intimidated by frosting. I am not sure why but it was simply hard for me to believe I could make such creamy, yummy fluffy frosting.
Martha Stewart (if you don’t know already I am a huge fan) has helped me created my very own buttercream frosting and I am happy to say it is the easiest thing to do. No more icing in a can for me! This recipe is inspired by Martha’s Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
- cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup milk– I use buttermilk but regular milk works just as fine
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- lemon vest from one lemon
What You Do:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency. Add the lemon extract, a little at a time and taste. I love lemon so I use the whole amount but taste along the way.
- Remove paddle and mix with a spatula, be sure the get the sides and bottoms as well.
- Add the zest of 1 lemon
You can use this buttercream on your favorite cakes!
Stay Encouraged & Be Blessed!